Sponsor your partner for Canadian immigration

Young restful spouses having brunch and tea in the kitchen

If you want to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner for Canadian immigration. Here is the procedure of spousal and common-law partner sponsorship in a nutshell.

The process has slightly different steps when:

  • you are applying with your partner who is living with you in Canada
  • you are applying from abroad

All the Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are already living in Canada need to apply for the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class.

The foreign partner must have valid immigration status in Canada as a  worker, student, or visitor. They can apply under this class if they count on obtaining an Open Work Permit thus they can work while waiting for their petition to be processed.

If you are a Canadian and want to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, the first thing you need is to make sure you are eligible or not. You need to be a Canadian citizen, First Nation, or a permanent resident above 18. You will also need to demonstrate that you can fulfill the basic needs of yourself as well as the person you are sponsoring. 

There are some factors that could make you ineligible, like if you were ever guilty of a violent crime.

Simultaneously, your partner also needs to fulfill the following requirements to get eligible to be sponsored.

  • Must be over the age of 18
  • Pass background, security, and medical checks
  • Your relationship must be “genuine” and not just based on obtaining Canadian permanent residency status.

You can also check the application guide online, as well as a document checklist provided by Canada for people going through the process. Once everything is perfect, you can then submit your application. If the Canadian Government finds it incomplete, they will return it.

IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) will take around 12 months to process spousal sponsorship applications.

During the processing period, IRCC may ask to submit the biometrics to those who are applying for permanent residence and they need to submit it within 30 days. They may also ask for more details or an in-person interview at any point. Those individuals who are being sponsored will be given 30 days to have a medical check.

After making a decision on your application the immigration department will provide you directions about the last step your spouse or common-law partner needs to take to get a Canadian permanent resident. 

Moreover, they will need to go to an entry port to meet an immigration officer for an arrival interview. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada will send them all the details about required documents, as well as the time and place of their interview.

Once the landing process is complete, your spouse or common-law partner will become a permanent resident officially. After that, the only thing left is to wait for the Canadian PR (permanent resident) card to come in the mail.

Read Our Previous Article About Top 5 Countries to Travel to in 2021